Freedom not Fear International Action Days
Freedom not Fear is an organization that coordinates over 150 NGOs, political parties, trade unions and other organisations that share common aims.
- To have freedom of speech in a digitized world and a free and uncensored internet to express ourselves.
- To have privacy in the knowledge society, not surveillance.
- To live in freedom, not in fear.
They are mostly European based but are drawing more attention from the rest of the world. Since 2008 they have been holding events to bring attention to the danger that the world is in due to increasing state and international surveillance.
From 26-29 September 2014 they will be holding a conference, debates and some form of protest in Brussels. Thisis in line with action taken in previous years since 2008.
Their demands are:
- Cutbacks on surveillance measures
- Evaluation of existing surveillance powers
- Moratorium on new surveillance powers
- Ensure freedom of expression, dialogue and information on the Internet
- Preservation of human rights
Featured image: CC BY-NC-SA CeBepuH
About Andrew Reitemeyer
I joined the Pirate Party of Lower Saxony in Germany in April 2012, once I found out that non citizens were welcome to join and become active members of the Party. I joined the Pirate Times soon after it was started as a proof reader and am now an editor and author. Since then I have returned to my native New Zealand and joined the Pirate Party of New Zealand. Politically I come from the libertarian left and have, up to now, not regarded any political party as having a solution for the democratic deficit that envelops the world. With the advent of the Pirate Party, which truly embraces grass roots democracy, I have found a political home. The Pirate Times is a way I can contribute to furthering the Pirate Movement around the world. Skype: frithogar