The Order of the Pirate Unicorn Podcast 001
A group of international Pirates have begun meeting regularly in Mumble to chat, socialise and see if we can help each other get stuff done. As a name was needed the Order of the Pirate Unicorn was decided upon.
We meet every Sunday evening at 20:00 (8 PM) Berlin time. There are no set topics and anyone is welcome to join in. There is a temporary facebook group to facilitate communication between chat sessions. We hope to find a new, more inclusive home, soon. Mumble is easy to install and use. It is open source and secure. Installation instructions are found in the Mumble wiki.The server we use is that of the Pirate Party of North Rhine Westfalia. Use this address when connecting:
mumble.piratenpartei-nrw.de and port 64738
Podcast notes for OOTPU 001
The Podcast will start off rough and ready. I will try to improve things as we go along but if I wait until it is perfect it will never get done. The intention is to I hope soon to incorporate things like an intro, music (not too much) and most importantly, other Pirate voices.
Sunday’s Order of the Pirate Unicorn Chat 19 April 2015 lasted between two and three hours and was well attended
Areas people want to pursue:
- Freedom of Information Requests – we have an expert who wants to help others and learn about FOI procedures internationally
- Researching economic democracy (worker cooperatives, etc) any one interested in researching public policy
- Bio-hacking There is a bio-tech expert wanting to meet other Pirates with the aim of promoting open labs
- Leak researchers Working through the released Sony documents and emails for Pirate related data
Media ignoring protests
In the light of the fact that trade agreement related street protests are being largely ignored by the media we wondered how to make more effective protests
Ideas mentioned were:
- mass lobbying by email, letter, phone and tweets mentioning the news outlet in question. Use leaflets to help people identify and have details of the newspapers, radio and TV stations concerned.
- Looking at Yes Men documentaries, you can find torrents online
- Uncut UK and Uncut US have good ideas for theatrical protests
- The book Beautiful Trouble beautifultrouble.org was recommended
Kittens and Cupcakes
The Pirate Orphan social group Kittens and Cupcakes will hopefully provide Pirates who are wanting to socialise and maybe get active. It is for Pirates who are not able to regularly attend face to face meetings. For example:
- Pirates with no local party
- Pirates who live in rural areas
- Pirates who have ideological or personal problems with their party
- Pirates who do not feel comfortable meeting in person but are happy with voice chat
- PPIS voted to leave PPI
- Finland failed to win seats in the election but increased their vote by 66%, 70% Helsinki and managed to raise about EUR 10,000 in bitcoin
- New Zealand is going to dissolve its board and transfer board functions to working groups. (Article to follow)
The content of the Podcast, these notes and any comments made are those of the respective authors and cannot be construed as those of the Pirate Times,the Pirate Movement nor any Pirate organisation or Party.
About Andrew Reitemeyer
I joined the Pirate Party of Lower Saxony in Germany in April 2012, once I found out that non citizens were welcome to join and become active members of the Party. I joined the Pirate Times soon after it was started as a proof reader and am now an editor and author. Since then I have returned to my native New Zealand and joined the Pirate Party of New Zealand. Politically I come from the libertarian left and have, up to now, not regarded any political party as having a solution for the democratic deficit that envelops the world. With the advent of the Pirate Party, which truly embraces grass roots democracy, I have found a political home. The Pirate Times is a way I can contribute to furthering the Pirate Movement around the world. Skype: frithogar